Author Topic: To Shave or Not To Shave

To Shave or Not To Shave
« on: April 23, 2013 »
Hair is strength.

You have to ask yourself what's next

Rob at the forum writes:

Obviously its starting to get a little warmer now, and nearly time to break out the shorts. What are your feelings on whether to shave legs or not?

That many of us are already obliged to frustrate nature's wishes to satisfy the aesthetic preferences of our partner is reason enough to consider the enlargement of this mandate a depilation too far.

Although it's true that most Tour de France winners shave and manage to put in quite respectable times, you have to ask yourself how much faster they could go if they didn't traumatise their largest organ. (That would be their skin.) If Samson taught us anything, it's that hair is strength.

Samson in better times. After his haircut even LOLcats made him whimper like a little girl.

On the other hand, a clean-jowled James Bond shaved the world, or at least face, on numerous occasions.

comments...

Cybernetic organisms do not exhibit hairs, simply flesh bonded to a carbotanium endoskeleton.
bikeboy76

Why is speed always mentioned with shaving ???!!!...for me three good reasons to shave in order of importance:
1. Damn sight easier to put on sun block evenly
2. Less painful massage than with hairs in the way,
3. Easier to deal with road rash...
Ok one more - it looks like you know what you are doing on a bike even if you are c**p
ianj

I'll fix that -
Three good reasons to shave in order of importance:
1. It looks like you know what you are doing on a bike even if you are c**p and in a 3/4 race, no-one will follow the hairy bloke in black shorts up the road making break away's even harder.
2. Easier to deal with road rash (on those rare occasions that it matters).
3. Less painful massage than with hairs in the way (for me, even rarer but it's a good reason).

It's got a hell of a lot more to do with fitting in than it has to do with speed.
racingcondor