Author Topic: Are you a church goer...

librarian

Are you a church goer...
« on: April 13, 2007 »

I see similarities between cycling and church. Both are things that you choose to do by yourself but can be enjoyed as a group.

On this forum we consider ourselves cyclists. We have an Old Testament, the Highway Code, and a New Testament, Cyclecraft.

We also have different denominational beliefs - trikes, 'bents, roadies, MTBers. There's even a sect, pavement cyclists, for which our bible offers no justification for. Then there are those who know they are closer to the cycling god than all the others - the fixies! At the other extreme, although riding bikes, we disown POBs and stealth teenage BMXers, claiming that they don't have the real truth.

We all make our own choices on the finer details of what we decide is or isn't true, based on knowledge, experience, confidence and trust. I ride a bike and call myself a cyclist. I also go to church and call myself a Christian. Neither are compulsory. I believe both are ideal but it's your choice whether you do either, neither or both.

Let's stand for the final hymn, an ode to polished titanium bikes: "All things bright and beautiful."

----------------------------------------------------

There's a certain circuity to this argument...

Atheists:  Christians hate me and want me to burn in hell because I don't follow their rules or believe in their God.

Christians:  Not really, we abandoned that sort of thing quite a long time ago.  We're more about tombolas and loving your neighbour these days.

Atheists:  Ah, but the Bible says homosexuals should be stoned to death!

Christians:  Yes, like we said, we abandoned the stoning and burning a while ago.

Atheists:  But if you don't follow the Bible then you can't be Christians!  You must secretly want to burn me!  Gwan, gwan, gwan, burn me, burn me, you know you want to.

Christians:  We do follow the Bible, the OT is a history and the NT supersedes it.

Atheists:  That's cheating!  There must be something about me you can't reconcile with your religious views.  Burn me!  BURN MEEEEEEE!

Christians:  We'd really rather sell you a raffle ticket and some stale cake.  But I suppose now you come to mention it, we do believe that you can't be saved without accepting Jesus as the Son of God and the Messiah.

Atheists:  There you go!  Pushing your views down my throat again!  You do want me burned, you homophobic, bigoted, right wing, woman hating, misogynistic, proselytising BASTARDS!