> Library

techne and episteme

(1/6) > >>

Simon L3:
I'm perfectly serious about this. If you have to think about the Way Forward, how do you construct an understanding of cycling as a cultural narrative? How do you think about the future of cycling? Where is your start point?

The Glue Man:
To throw a pebble in the oil, culturally inscribed contexts run deep in this demi paradise vis bicycle balancing. I'm of the canvas dangler persuasion.
Mismatched socks, stripey acrylic, toe strap, bottle dynamo, granny geared. It's an incomplete narrative admittedly promising misty dawns and moonlit toil over a Paul Nash landscape and full consummation of the idyll is rare. Mostly it's just sweat and sore knees. My beginning and end. Ride as reverie.

bardsandwarriors:
My start point would be 'purpose'. Why do people cycle, and why does it come out on top for some people, in some environments, compared with the alternatives. I see pure function in everything, even in beauty and poetry; and purpose is at its root.

But I think the answer depends firstly on your purpose for asking.

blackpud:

--- Quote from: The Glue Man on January 17, 2006 ---To throw a pebble in the oil, culturally inscribed contexts run deep in this demi paradise vis bicycle balancing. I'm of the canvas dangler persuasion.
Mismatched socks, stripey acrylic, toe strap, bottle dynamo, granny geared. It's an incomplete narrative admittedly promising misty dawns and moonlit toil over a Paul Nash landscape and full consummation of the idyll is rare. Mostly it's just sweat and sore knees. My beginning and end. Ride as reverie.

--- End quote ---

I didn't understand any of that but it was beautiful.

Not Responding:
Crumbs. Just think.

For me it's how I get to work. Are you saying I need a cultural narrative and paradigm?

Actually, that's not true at all. It may have been true once but, 9 years on, I have a garage full of bikes, I ride for fun at weekends and spend all my evenings reading about the damn things. Oh and I tithe 10% of my earnings to Wiggle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version