Author Topic: Calling people "Dude"

librarian

Calling people "Dude"
« on: March 11, 2007 »
Before I make this admission, I'd like to make it quite clear that I can't surf, have never been to California and no longer partake of The Weed.  I'm not particularly into grunge or nu-metal music and I almost always tie my shoelaces rather than letting them trail on the floor.

Nevertheless, I seem to have developed an alarming affectation, largely manifesting itself in my having the overwhelming urge to refer to people as "dude".  For instance, someone asked me how my cold was this morning and it was everything I could do not to say, "dude, I'm the snot factory from hell today".

When someone does something unexpected, I have started using the word as a general exclaimation ("Dude!") and I even find myself wanting to refer to people at work as "old dudes".  Am I turning into Bill S. Preston esq. or Ted Theodore Logan?

I'm English and this is not good.  I was born in south London and I don't have "thrill issues".  More to the point, in most other areas of my life, I abhor unnecessary slang, poor diction and bad grammar.

Is it too late for me?  Should I hack myself to death with a big knife now? 

Your advice would be most welcome.

Dudes.