Author Topic: Interview

librarian

Interview
« on: February 17, 2007 »
I have done my job for over 25 years, and am very good at it. I have just finished a spell of temp promotion to cover my boss' job. I am due for a "top" performance grading at the end of March. I am recognised as the airport expert on tobacco and alcohol smuggling from the EU, and get called on to draft submissions used in setting national policy.
And every time I go to work I wonder if today will be the day I get found out as incompetent.
It's like growing up. Every year as a young person you think you know it all, and the next year look back and realise that you didn't, but NOW you do. True maturity begins with the end of that delusional process. You realise that the omnipotent adult figure you saw as a child was never that; that adulthood consists of understanding that you will always be fallible, always be weak, but that condition is simple human nature. You make the best job of it that you can.
Unfortunately, you can never get away from the childlike suspicion that the other adults around you are the real ones....