Author Topic: It's hardly the day for it...

librarian

It's hardly the day for it...
« on: March 22, 2007 »
...it's cold, and wet, and not, you would have thought, conditions conducive to thoughts on The Joy Of Cycling.  And yet.

Maybe it's my splendid run down Brixton Hill at half past midnight last night (just the right steepness to pedal down in top gear rather than freewheeling, empty road, green lights all the way down).  Maybe it's knowing that even if it is cold, once I get going I'll be plenty warm enough.  Maybe it's leaning into the corner at Parliament Square and knowing that the bike will go exactly where I want it to.  Maybe it's the kick of traffic-dodging, knowing what's happening next and where I can put myself.  Maybe it's that feeling when you change up two gears away from the lights and feel the resistance as you accelerate.  Maybe it's some hippy shit about getting out in the elements even if they're being a little unfriendly.  Maybe it's my traditional Happy Endorphin Friends.  Maybe it's the sheer joy of being under my own power.

Maybe it's the realisation (as I complained about the weather this morning & P pointed out that it *is* my choice to cycle rather than get the tube) that even if it's cold and wet, even if it's blowing a gale, even if it's snowing - I'd still rather be on the bike.

But I rode into work this morning grinning all the way. :D

(I meant to post this this morning but forgot!)