Author Topic: Silly Season

sam

Silly Season
« on: March 31, 2006 »
As summer approaches (steady on, I hear you say; spring hasn't even properly arrived yet), the tabloids and other press organs gear up to pull the same tired old rewritten copy from the lycra lout annex of their morgue. If they can't be bothered to come up with something new, neither can I:

At times like this I imagine I'm racing beneath the blistering skin of the crazy world above through tunnels dug in ancient times by wise mole people who knew that it was best to avoid the mad dogs and Englishmen that danced above their dirt ceiling...

sam

•  
Heterotopia on wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008 »
A great bit of dialogue in an episode of Mad Men led me to Google and thence to Wikipedia: Utopia.

I've never entertained notions of a eutopia for cyclists, probably because I take things as they come out on the road. It is what it is. I'd make a lousy campaigner.

The media will drive you to distraction, if you let them. Look, there's a headline.

sam

•  
Beware, zombie journalists
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009 »
From The Times, whose comments section provided my header:

WATCH out for the iPod zombies. Cyclists distracted by music blaring in their ears have become the latest menace on Britain’s roads, etc.

Automobile Association president Edmund King, joined by a caption writer apparently on loan from one of the red tops, gets equally revved up at The Guardian. By the way, has former cycling columnist Matt Seaton joined me in a capsule of creature comforts?

sam

•  
playlist
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009 »