•  
it's a sick country
« on: January 05, 2010 »

Behold, the US healthcare system

sam

•  
it's a sick country
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010 »
Who are the actual "crazy" people in American politics?
In our political discourse, the two party establishments typically define what is "sane," and anyone outside of those parameters is, by definition, "crazy." "Crazy" is the way that political orthodoxies are enforced and the leadership of the two political parties preserved as the only viable choices for Sane People to embrace. Anyone who tiptoes outside of those establishment parameters... is, more or less by definition, branded as "crazy" by all Serious, mainstream people.

The converse is even more perverse: the Washington establishment -- which has endorsed countless insane policies, wrought so much destruction on every level, and has provoked the intense hatred of the American citizenry across the ideological spectrum -- is the exclusive determinant for what is "sane." As long as one remains snugly within its confines, one will be shielded from the "crazy" appellation regardless of how many genuinely crazy views one embraces.

sam

•  
I heart Dennis
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010 »
Speaking of "crazy", ever heard of a politician who returns donations because he couldn't keep a pledge?

I feel that as the new health care legislation further entrenches insurance companies in the system it's a huge step in the wrong direction, rather than a small step in the right one because it throws people a few bones which insurers will almost certainly try to snatch away later. But I appreciate why Dennis did what he did today. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the congressman from Cleveland. One can only hope that any deal he did with Obama involves creating that Department of Peace.

Salon editor Joan Walsh writes: Like a lot of liberals, I'm guilty of not always taking Rep. Dennis Kucinich seriously (even though during the 2008 primaries my views were deemed closest to candidate Kucinich's by this online poll.) I was on vacation when he took his strong stand against passing President Obama's flawed healthcare reform bill, or else I'd have whacked him for ineffectual lefty grandstanding.

Only if I can whack her first.

---

on edit: Swoon turns to sigh. Jane's right.