Author Topic: H@lfords (sorry for swearing) and folding bikes...

librarian

So, armed with a short list of folders from the bike2work scheme, I went along to my local H@lfords store to price up the different models.

I approached the counter.  There was one fairly junior looking member of staff in attendance, whilst in the background another was removing the tyre from a 700 wheel.

"I'd like to 'price up' a couple of folding bikes", I said to the assistant.
"They're over there", said the assistant.  The sound of a 700c wheel being dropped made him jump as he said it.
"I know, but there are three specific models I'd like to price up."
"We only have three, they're over there."

The air was punctured by an expletive from the guy with the wheel as he jagged a screw-driver into his hand trying to remove the rim-tape.

"I know but I want prices for other models from Dahon, and some accessories."
"That's the only Dahon we have, accessories are on the wall."

I was not getting through.

"Look.  You have a Dahon catalogue under the counter.  Probably a Fisher one actually but the Dahon bikes will be in there."

There was again the sound of a 700c wheel being dropped.  I looked up to see the other assistant holding a rim tape in his right hand.

The first assistant rummaged under the counter. 

"There's no Dahon catalogue here."
"Fisher", I said.

There was a 'snap' as, in the background, the rim tape jumped off the wheel.

"This one?" asked the assistant.
"No, that's Specialized.  FISHER."

There was another 'snap' from the background.

The first agent rummaged some more.

'Snap'.

A Fisher catalogue was duly recovered from under the counter.

'Snap'.

"That's the one," I said.

'Snap'.

The first assistant flicked through the catalogue.  I watched the second assistant push the rim tape over the edge of the rim.  Failing to notice that as he pushed the leading edge, the trailing edge was climbing out of the rim.  An experience I remember having around the age of 14.

'SNAP'.  The rim tape jumped into the air.

By this time the first assistant had found the Dahon bikes.  I copied down the prices of my selected models and handed back the catalogue.

'Snap'.

"Now the Brompton catalogue please."
"Who?"
"Brompton".

'Snap'.

"Never heard of them".
"Brompton?"
"No".

'Snap'.

"Brompton is singularly the most famous name in folding bikes.  In fact they're the definitive folding bike and, as far as I know, the original folding bike."

"Still never heard of them."

'Snap'.

"OK, I'll leave it."

I left the sales floor with an air of resignation.  Accompanied by a solitary 'snap' in the background followed by the sound of a 700c wheel being dropped.