Author Topic: Ed O Brain's courtcase

sam

Ed O Brain's courtcase
« on: August 07, 2006 »
All,

Thank you very much for your support. Without it I would be much worse off and with your help I went down fighting.

I certainly put the prosecutor in his place, however the district judge had already made up his mind (imho) before I was called to the stand.

The district judge in his summing up decided that I had a choice of using thed cycle path or the main carriageway. By using the main carriageway I made a bad decision as inconveniencing motorists when there is an alternative cycle path is inconsiderate.

The judged dismissed much of what Mr. Franklin had said or written in his report. He could not be satisfied that I would be more inconvenienced by using the cyclepath than the motorists would be by me using the carriageway. He did not accept how dangerous negotiating the traffic where the cycle path went around the roundabout. the fact that these are the types of junctions where most cycling accidents occur and also that these types off accidents were more severe. He dismissed broken glass and doggy doo as nonsense and was quite happy that I should progress along the cycle path at less than twelve mph instead of over thirty on the road.

I think this judge was out of touch. He thinks bicycles are toys and treated us like children.

I hope to be able to appeal but there are several things to take into consideration.

Express gratitude to the CTC, CDF, forum members that came today and those that have provided character references. Thanks particularly to Simon L3.

You have all been wonderful and I'm priviledged to know you.

A Telford CM sounds like a wonderful idea, even if it is a one off.

Please someone post the result to Cycling Plus forum. I don't have the energy left.

Very warm but solemn regards

Ed