> Freewheeling

tool fool

<< < (2/2)

sam:
How is this multitool different from that one? my wife asked in a perfectly reasonable tone of voice after hearing my relief at not having this

confiscated from my carry-on bag by the TSA while returning from the Terrified States of America. She was comparing it to the Zanzi upthread. Her interrogation caused me to stutter, which, added to my lisp, rendered me speechless. Now that I've had time to gather my thoughts, here goes:

* It makes a serviceable knuckle-duster should fisticuffs become necessary if her honour is impugned
* The large allen key can be used to hammer out dents in a frame
* It's more symmetrical

sam:
I can figure out most things for myself, sometimes with a little help from Google. But this was a puzzler.

BMX hub on a road wheel. I wanted to remove the cog to try another size. The lock or retaining ring has two notches and comes off counterclockwise. You need to restrain the freewheel, typically with a chain whip. With the chain in place, there's no room for this tool

to grab on. I couldn't find one of these

which fits; the Park FR-2 is too small. I had an idea that a pin spanner might do the trick, but wasn't sure there would be enough leverage.

There wasn't. However, with some duct tape (good enough for airplanes! or not) and a piece of wood, eureka:

Thank you Archimedes.

sam:
Popped round to the hardware store yesterday looking for a tool to remove a screw for a SPD cleat mount cover. The head was too worn to admit a screwdriver. My plan was to decapitate it.

“Let me try something,” said a man with a pair of needlenose pliers, which in another context might be a little scary. I'd already tried pliers without luck, but started to take my shoe off anyway. He told me to keep it on. Then he crouched down and very quickly performed the extraction, earning my gratitude for saving me from the tapping I'd had to endure ever since cutting off the cover to stop it from squeaking. (If it ain't one noise it's another.) The successful operation almost made me feel like dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNKRm6H-qOU

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version