Author Topic: Coastal Canter

librarian

Coastal Canter
« on: December 18, 2006 »
Gave the flattery box a thump after leaving the car park and it worked properly thereafter.  Hooked up with Garry Broad at that main road crossing where you had to get off and walk across the grass - well, you do if your rear mech is as close to the deck as mine is - and did the rest of the trip together.  More or less.  Our late arrival at the first control was due to a sheep-like attention to road-signs.

"The route goes through Brighton"

"That signpost says Brighton"

"We'll go that way"

"Baaaa!"

It took about 6 km of the A26, and an encounter with some real sheep, before we realised we gone wrong.  Overtaken by a few late starters after Newhaven, including Mel Kirkland.  Thus it was a surprise to find him turning up after us at the Shoreham cafe.  Not much of a surprise, mind, this being a man who ended up doing about ten miles up the A1 on the Goldington Gambol after an unscheduled trip to Baldock.  Nice gentle run out to Loxwood and face-stuffing at El's Portable Caff, then the out-and-back potter to the next info.  Garry was initially Baffled by the strings of riders heading towards us.  "Is there a 100 on today or sumfink?"  We contemplated ambushing someone returning on this leg to get the answer and put ourselves back on distance.

By Pease Pottage it was Bloody Freezing.

After Pease Pottage it was Bloody Freezing and dark, but Portable Caff Mark II was a welcome sight.  Tea, cake, more tea.

After Fletching it was dark, Bloody Freezing and lumpy.  Garry kept disappearing up hills, and when he didn't disappear fast enough on one downhill, I was on the verge of passing him at the bottom when he clipped the verge and fell off in a heap.  Major evasive action by me and two following vehicles, no damage to him and only a lightly bent bit of the chain retention system on the bike.

Into Heathfield.  That signpost says "Hailsham 9".  Consult route sheet again - not easy as the flatteries in my head-torch have seen too much work since April 1st (Membury) and are rapidly running out of voles - and discover there's another info chiz.  By now Garry has totally disappeared, having mumbled something about getting home in time for last orders, so it was a surpise when I finally trundled into the finish to find him absent.  He showed up about ten minutes later, having missed the turn after the last info.  Took about twelve and a half hours all-in, though I reckon we'd have done it in under twelve without our side-trip towards Lewes and a degree of puzzlitude over the "Ockley Station" info control...

Good route, great day, great grub, great company.  What more do you need?