Poll

What are yours?

You may select up to 3 options.

Author Topic: Dealbreakers

sam

Dealbreakers
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023 »
Imperviousness to irony.

My full on TWAW "I hate JK Rowling but don't know what she said" PhD on the wall sister-in-law recently made this her Twitter banner:

Whoosh like a MF.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2023 »
The wilder shores of satire is a whoosh for some people, too.

Don't laugh

That hair looks familiar...

Oh be nice.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2023 »
Empathy. (Yeah, both sides are going to claim this one.)

Here's someone who gets it. Originally on TikTok. Will wonders never cease.

Let's revisit humour while we're at it:

I can no longer tell if this is satire!
Quote from: NecessaryScene
When I was young, "right-wing" satire and comedy used not to be very funny, because if you're trying to target people who are more open-minded and less hypocritical, it's hard to get a grip. And such comedy would have to stay within the permitted constraints for their group.

But now there's been a complete reversal, because it's the so-called "left" who are more incredibly closed-minded and hypocritical, so there IS a lot in what they're up to to mock. And then "left-wing" comedy is trying to stay within incredibly tight ideological constraints.

What I've realised is that this isn't a left-versus-right thing, it's an authoritarian versus anti-authoritarian thing. The anti-authoritarian side can be funny - the authoritarian one can't. And clearly the Onion is trying to align itself with the authoritarian side.

At least some things have remained true to themselves over the same period - I think of South Park in particular. But that never made the mistake of being on a "left" or "right" side - it was always just skewered everyone. The Onion tried to skewer everyone but was always obviously lefty - Babylon Bee was the unfunny right-wing version. But it's now a lot funnier. And the Onion is trapped trying to defend nonsense.

Boys will be girls and girls will be boys:

Dealbreakers
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2023 »
Typos.

Inside the Grauniad’s civil war over trans coverage
Quote from: Max Tani
Following the 2020 letter, Moore loudly resigned from her position at the paper. In a typo-ridden email in March 2020, Moore lashed out at some Guardian colleagues who signed the letter.

Not really.

I'm not going to call grammar Nazi, but thanks to what has turned into the usual bias, I won't be bookmarking Semafor.

A new moment requires new thinking.

Enter Semafor. The world’s first news platform designed to meet the moment we are in blah. Providing audiences with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency through innovative new forms blah blah, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views blah blah blah and exploring competing perspectives across borders for a curious, new global audience blah blah blah blah.

Join us and make sense of a complex world with a news source you can trust stifled laughter.

Alan Turing

• Turing Alan
Dealbreakers
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2023 »
A heartbeat.

Good luck with that.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023 »
Nazis.

Quote from: Onward to Dystopia
So lemme see, we were told for years: Ukraine full of nazi, and that Bad™, but suddenly Ukraine Good™, because Russia Bad™. Then we are told, “You no like nazi, huh? hahaha, well Russia nazi too because Wagner are nazi, hahaha I am very intelligent.” But then Wagner Good™, because they mutiny against Bad Russia™, but maybe Wagner Bad™ after all because no overturn Bad Putin Hitler Man 2.0™.

Very confusing, I think maybe the West just likes nazis.

Quote from: PorcelinaV
Quote from: h1d1ng1npla1ns1ght
It couldn’t possibly be the case that left-wing and right-wing women uniting over an issue means the issue has merit for women. It must be that we’re all hateful bigots who love Hitler. A friend of mine called JK Rowling a “literal nazi”. What!? A literal nazi. Literal. She writes things on twitter he doesn’t like so obviously she’s comparable to the worst war criminals who have ever existed.

Misusing the word "literal" may be even worse than misusing the word "Nazi".

Quote from: nauticant
It's a gaming of the disgust response in humans. The goal is to make undecided people so averse to looking at what we're saying that they swerve away from us without any engagement. We get labelled as those things that people feel most aversion to, so the undecideds stay away.

The beauty of this approach is that the greater the aversion response you create, the less people feel they ought to think for themselves, and in fact the more people feel that they should actively not do so.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2012/Q3/prof-be-wary-when-disgust-tactics-used-in-campaigning.html

Dealbreaker?
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2023 »
A new aquaintance of mine, an audiophile whose loft is groaning with vinyl, is reluctant to discuss Bob Dylan. Am still processing this shocking news.

#NotQuiteRandom

Dealbreaker
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2023 »
Comedians having a clue.