Author Topic: Why ti

sam

Why ti
« on: May 22, 2012 »
Following on from my post about Enigma, here are some of the properties of titanium, discovered in Cornwall by William Gregor in 1791 and named after the Titans of Greek mythology:

It's a precious metal
Semi-precious, at least.

Gregor gazes upon his discovery

Its intrinsic value is given added lustre by practical applications. Titanium is strong and light, and capable of withstanding attack by hydrocholric acid as well as chlorine gas, which is useful if those are common environmental factors on your rides.

It looks great
The bare metal industrial look never goes out of style, unlike colours such as orange, which fell into worldwide disuse through much of the early 20th century, and red, in America in the 50s.

Some states experimented with purple stop signs until the hippie scare of the 60s

It absorbs road shock
You can ride a properly tuned titanium bicycle over cobbled streets and mix martinis at the same time, stirred, not shaken. Comfort isn't the only consideration. Other materials, such as so-called 'steel', have an appalling safety record.

They weren't riding Ti

It's expensive
Note that it's important to make sure people know you got yours before the unfortunate influx of titanium frames from Murdoch-controlled China and other countries influenced by his malignant scheme to devalue the titanium brand.

A small sideline to his hacking

It's used in airplanes
Or so I'm always reading. Join the mile high club without leaving the ground.

It's not carbon-fibre
Not that there's anything wrong with carbon-fibre. Or is there?

Kenjaja

Re: why ti
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012 »
Ti is fashion for fashion's sake. People keep trying new materials for bicycles but they never catch on.
Here are a few examples.
Wood
Two problems with this material. One is getting splinters in the backside; the other is woodworm. Can you imagine limping in to your nearest A&E and asking a fit young nurse if she could extract the splinters from your backside (or is that your fantasy?). You might only realise your bike had woodworm on returning to your bike to find the lock sitting sadly in a pile of sawdust.
Bakelite
This will be much better used for a case to generate hissing noises and occasional announcements that Poland has been invaded.
Bamnboo
Same as wood but nastier splinters
Plastic
A material which is much better suited to washing bowls and other kitchen paraphernalia - (at least that is what my wife tells me.)
Aluminium
This is much too light and is therefore a ridiculous material to make a bike from. It will never catch on.
Steel
This may have a future in a niche market.
Carbon Fiber
We all know that carbon (or "charcoal" as I prefer to call it) is great for burning burgers on the barbecue and would have the advantage that you could cook food when you fail to find a cake shop. This would prevent mass starvation for cyclists but, having burnt our bikes, how would we get home?
Cast Iron
This is the durable material for bicycles. Mine is still going strong since its purchase in 1896. I once rode my trusty 'Ci' steed 375 yards without stopping. Ci is the future.

sam

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012 »
Cast Iron
This is the durable material for bicycles.

The old Pashley factory

Bakelite
This will be much better used for a case to generate hissing noises and occasional announcements that Poland has been invaded.

I caught a bit of a documentary on this wonder material some years ago:

Kenjaja

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012 »
I think this proves my point about about bakelite and its lack of suitability in bicycle construction.  Just take a look at the TdeF archives for proof that team AOC (Aliens from the Orion Cluster) have never won anything.

(Caution do not confuse team AOC (Aliens from the Orion Cluster) with team AOC (Aliens from Over the Channel).  The latter team have been known to win a jersey or two.

I had absolutely no idea that bakelite was made from Marmite and Domestos. This seems like a terrible waste of Marmite to me. It may explain why my local Tesco store keeps running out of Marmite - it is probably aliens buying the stuff to build a new supertanker or something similar.

Frenchie

Re: Why ti
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012 »
Aluminium, steel and carbon fibres are all used in the aero world, both on engines and airframes.

sam

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012 »
Caution do not confuse team AOC (Aliens from the Orion Cluster) with team AOC (Aliens from Over the Channel).

Aliens you say? The Orion Cluster you say?

Aluminium, steel and carbon fibres are all used in the aero world

Not to mention paper

which I was disappointed to learn these aren't made out of

sam

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012 »
Sallied forth to procure more ti the other day

which choice of words reminds me of a comic; googling yielded this, not what I was expecting; clicking on one of the more interesting choices led to operagloves.com, which is the sort of site the internet is all about, but I digress

which involved a trip to Enigma down near where East Sussex meets the sea.

BTW there's an opera house where Sussexians can wallow in culture if the need becomes acute

I hopped a train to Hastings then got off and rode along the coast, former work environment of many a smuggler and still the scene of lax border controls.

Sped through Bexhill, birthplace of British motor racing and reception area to God's waiting room in Eastbourne, then the green flatlands of the Pevensey Levels, where apparently a lot of shoplifting occurs.

Arrived at the titanium mine. Here we see an employee examining a frame for structural forthrightness, one of the key components of integrity.

He wears a mask to help guard against the ti sickness. At the end of the day he'll be strip searched to ensure none of the metal is smuggled out.

I got what I came for,

loitered at a nearby castle for a picnic, then sped home. Here the new part can be seen on a Litespeed (replacing the "bobbin"). I'd photoshop out the workstand but life is too short and I'm not really that good.

Titanium frame, seatpost, handlebars, stem, and now spacer. We're done here.

Frenchie

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012 »
The chain is slack.

sam

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012 »
The chain has been slack for years. Every new chain I get for this magic gear'd bike also goes slack eventually, so it is not something I can fight. Instead I embrace it, because it still mysteriously holds. Alexander Pope saw this:

Look round our world; behold the chain of love
Combining all below and all above.
See plastic Nature working to this end,
The single atoms each to other tend,
Attract, attracted to, the next in place,
Form'd and impell'd its neighbour to embrace.
See matter next, with various life endued,
Press to one centre still, the gen'ral good;
See dying vegetables life sustain,
See life dissolving vegetate again.
All forms that perish other forms supply
(By turns we catch the vital breath, and die),
Like bubbles on the sea of Matter borne,
They rise, they break, and to that sea return.
Nothing is foreign; parts relate to whole;
One all-extending, all-preserving, soul
Connects each being, greatest with the least;
Made beast in aid of man, and man of beast;
All serv'd all serving: nothing stands alone;
The chain holds on, and where it ends unknown.