Author Topic: D-Day

sam

D-Day
« on: May 23, 2012 »
Yesterday was a vitamin D day, so my wife and I headed out on our bikes to mainline it to help avoid osteoporosis when we arrive at our dotage. We chose the area around Barcombe in East Sussex. A river runs through it, but who's afraid of Virginia Woolf.

To begin our ride we had to take a train to Lewes, Dr Beeching having put paid to the Barcombe station(s!) some years ago. Conversational snatch overheard in a Yorkshire accent: "The Chinese are going to open a Mexican restaurant?" Or maybe it was the other way around.

Lewes is nice if you like traffic hemmed in by ancient streets. It's a popular staging area for Tour-bound cyclists, or seemed to be as I honked my wife's sit-up-and-bed roadster up High Street hill to spare her knees (it's part of the For Better or for Worse contract) and was passed by a peloton.

After sourcing lunch we escaped into the countryside, hoping to visit a few churches.

Apparently the Alpha • Dot security system isn't enough to dissuade those who have an interest in religious memorabilia.

We got lucky at St Mary the Virgin. I laid a horse blanket over my wife's steed

and we went inside to bathe in the glow of Charles Eamer Kempe's stained glass. It's not known for its vitamin-enhancing qualities so we were forced to flee. I'm still not sure what the conker room was all about, but it must be spider-free.

We shared the train home with a small horse.