Author Topic: Reaction

Reaction
« on: October 15, 2019 »
A newspaper consists of just the same number of words,
whether there be any news in it or not.

Amnesty wouldn’t agree, but I am a tortured individual. (True story: my sister-in-law used to be in charge of their death penalty abolition program. She’s also quite unpleasant. A half hour in her company is like being waterboarded, but without that refreshed feeling you get afterwards /digression.) I worry a lot.

I worry about being unfair. I worry about offending those who don’t deserve it. I worry about appearing condescending when mere snobbishness is called for. I don't particularly worry about people not getting a joke. I worry that my quixotic stand against likes will get me banned from purgatory, where they’re mandatory. I worry about what Mark Twain said (with a little help from his friends), but have also been known to savour ambiguity. I worry that I’ll fall off that bike in the reg agreement. I worry about looking sad by talking to myself so often. Look sad to whom, logic will compel one of my alter egos to ask, not unkindly.

My latest worry is that it might seem as if I’m ignoring replies to the FNRttC poll. The truth is I’m tired of seeing my own name, and am grateful to have somebody else’s out there. Langster et alia want to take a lower profile, too, having been employed to fill the gaps. Henry, chosen because of my fondness for the quotes that top and tail this post, is likewise a temp.

Thank you Adam, and garlands of praise to Greg (the grumpy one; we may have that in common at times) for your words. Cheers to anyone else who contributes.

When I'm not thanked at all, I'm thanked enough,
I've done my duty, and I've done no more.

Re: Reaction
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019 »
Well, I could give you a thumbs up for that, but I won't.  But only because I like you.

To Whom It May Concern
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019 »
As interactions go this is less than ideal, but it's the best I can do.

Bless you for suggesting this is a forum, Man With No Name. Do you mind if I call you that? It’s a bit less formal.

Though misleading, the wording is technically correct, and 'disaffected' is indeed the right word; points for passing the Turing Twain test. However I will log in under exceptional circumstances, such as when it may benefit mankind, or give exposure to some lovely replies. (Logging in to pick up a gauntlet doesn't qualify as exceptional.)

More interesting is the nature of your post, assuming I was in the front row of your intended audience.

Let us so assume.

'Why' is a question that suits almost any occasion. Why poke me? Do you not like me, Man With No Name? Could that be it?

Was it something I said?

Or are you a bounty hunter?

We may never know.

– A LEMONS TO LEMONADE PRODUCTION –

de Zen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019 »
The eminently quotable

“I quote others only in order the better to express myself.”

Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, whose name puts me in mind of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (it must be the de - thanks Sopranos), said “Every man has within himself the entire human condition.” Montaigne is the patron saint of personal essayists. 

NACF and its forerunner have been, in part, a voyage of self-discovery. One of those discoveries is that I am not always as zen as I’d like to be, and the writing cure doesn’t always work the way I keep telling myself it should.

My preference would be to skim along, above all petty concerns. Being only human, I fall to earth. Hence these posts, which may or may not be here next time you visit, depending how confessional I'm feeling; and hence this open letter:

Dear FNRttC Powers-That-Be,

Could you add a courtesy link here to acknowledge the source, por favor?

Yours truly,

photo credit