Author Topic: Works for me

sam

Works for me
« on: November 21, 2012 »
First up:

Unholey Continental Grand Prix 4000s. These rode into my life wrapped around the wheels of my Enigma. So far they've shrugged off two seasons of hedge cutting. I'm beginning to wonder what Conti put in their black chili compound, and if it involves sacrifices to dark gods.

sam

Works for Me™
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012 »

Shimano WH-R500 wheels on the same bike. They cost £120. For both. That's only about twice what I paid for the tyres.

There seems to be a rule that expensive frames demand expensive components; indeed, when putting this together I had my eye on RS80s, which are rich enough for my blood. I can understand why you wouldn't want to slum it with wheels in particular, but it's unlikely that spending so much more would've improved my life commensurately. The poor state of the roads is another disincentive to fancy hoops.

Mostly, I was happy to find something with decals that were easy to remove. Now if I could just get rid of half of those spokes...

sam

works for me
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012 »

Freewheeling, obviously. Singlespeed, as my posting history will show. Enter the singlespeed adapter. Looks a little clunky, but function trumps form. Sprockets are usually cheaper, easier to remove, and in my experience trouble-free compared to ss freewheels.

Yes, ENOs have a good reputation. They're too noisy.

sam

Xmas Xpress
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012 »

Once a year I deliver presents to the world's cyclists. Just the good ones, the ones who don't mess up the curve too badly. The big guy gives me a list and off I go.

You might think this would be a job for a trailer, or at least panniers, but no, I get by with my Altura Arran post pack. It's expandable, which helps. I fill the side compartments with fruit cake to be used as ballast, clip a "Rudolph" to the loop in the back to keep from getting rear ended by low flying aircraft, and stow a lock under the bungee on top for when I have to nip into Tesco for eggnog to rehydrate.

I don't pay much attention to what I'm delivering, just scan everything before I drop it off to keep the big guy off my back, but I did notice that helmet cams are more popular than ever. Suffice it to say there's now an elf who does nothing but watch Youtube from Christmas to Christmas, separating naughty from nice. 

sam

Bodgeguard
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013 »

A is a Crud RoadRacer, a favourite when there's little clearance.

Where I live mud is a constant. As the rear guard covers a lot of territory there's plenty of scope for friction, especially with so little room beneath the brakes. The Crud that used to be in back needed frequent adjustment. I preferred something more grounded. My solution is a SKS guard in two pieces, B and C.

B is zip-tied in two places (three if you count the zip-to-zip action in place of a chainstay bridge) to the frame at the lower end, and to the brakes up top.

C is secured (using that term loosely) with a tie to the rack, but otherwise bolted on.

The entire operation was hurriedly performed one night with a surfeit of impatience after a vexing session of wheelrub; as a result I cut it too short. The gap has been addressed, in spirit at least, with one of the extenders from the Crud kit.

This bodgeguard in three part harmony provides adequate protection from wheelborne elements, is blessedly noise free, easy to clean, and stays in place. W____ f__ m_.

Somewhat later: mudguards off. They worked, but the bike never felt right with them on.

Aaaaand back on again, though the rack is no longer necessary scaffolding, and I changed the front fork to a mudguard-friendly version.

Funny how things can feel wrong, then right again, in an ever-shifting reassessment of priorities.

sam

works for me
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013 »
Today we leave the material world: no computer.

The information age is past due for a cull. If the earth is spinning at 1000mph (slightly less north of the Watford Gap), the fact that I'm spinning at a considerably reduced rate, probably the wrong way, is not going to be enhanced by my knowledge of that rate. Nor can I find any good use for the additional data typically provided by such devices. Average speed seldom takes into account mitigating factors such as the state of the economy. Distance travelled? In these shoes? And cadence counting is best left to fixed wheelers anxious about the warranty period ending on their knee replacements.

sam

Works for me: tyres again
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018 »
23mm.

I tried 25mm. It felt like I was knocking down passersby on either side.

My Conti GP4000s - just the one, sorry - is yours [see TERMS AND CONDITIONS] if you can answer this trivia question, promising hand over heart that you haven't googled or phoned a friend:

In what movie are pyroxenes, magnetites and coarse grained plutonics given short shrift?

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If I like the cut of your jib.