Author Topic: I told you I was ill

sam

I told you I was ill
« on: May 18, 2021 »
You know how you wonder if that noise is coming from the bottom bracket?

Yes, definitely a problem there. My bike almost threw me off, as if to say "Save yourself!"

This wasn't the first crack:

or even the second:

"Now that's what I call a dropout"

It was just the last.

The bike is clearly a write-off. And so, it turns out, am I as a customer of Enigma. Sold with a "lifetime" warranty (back before they changed it to 10 years with a "Loyalty" scheme which leaves much to be desired), Jim Walker has made it very clear to me that lifetime doesn't mean anything close to that. I wasn't expecting to ride it till I was 100 – as if – but I surely expected more than a decade on the road and multiple frame failures.

They've now asked for £600 to build a new one. I think I'll pass.

On another note of finality, I only just learned that Mark Reilly, the man who measured me up for it, died a few months ago.

I came across this on his Twitter feed, from back when he started Nerve Bikes. Having written my share of shall we say bold letters in my time, I retroactively approve.

sam

Bike-shaped scrap metal
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021 »

workload

Re: I told you I was ill
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021 »
As it happens I have, or should I now say, had an Enigma-sized chunk o'change set aside for my 'retirement present'. Someone else will be getting that now. Other companies honour lifetime warranties.