Author Topic: THE bike

sam

THE bike
« on: September 17, 2021 »
I've got bikes, I just no longer have the bike.

not to be clicked by those with delicate sensibilities
En*gma
[close]

The bike is whatever fits you like a glove, rides like a dream, and wins your personal beauty contest (sorry Langster). Not cracking in 5 years and dying in 10 would be a bonus.

Nothing beats bespoke. As much as I want my old off-the-rack Litespeed to step up, it's not happening. Behold my latest effort, a high rise stem which quickly acquired the nickname Stairway to Heaven:

So that's what 35° looks like

No great surprise that in addition to the nosebleed, it didn't do the handling any favours.

What to do? Buy another bike <hit replay on video above>. N+1 is exactly what I was hoping to avoid when I got the

not to be clicked by those with delicate sensibilities
En*gma
[close]

and not just because of the expense. I know the prospect of acquisition is supposed to be pleasurable, but for me it’s a riddle of what to buy, wrapped in a mystery of whom to trust, and thus a very large headache.

sam

Love the one you're with
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021 »
Meanwhile I'll be carrying on as gamely as possible. That stem was overkill; the bike actually fits me pretty well, I think it's the case that my body just got very used to… that other bike (desperately ignoring that the steerer rose 3cm higher but didn't tower over the top tube thanks to a longer head tube. I may consider surgery to alter my body if it becomes necessary.*) The Litespeed is certainly better made,

unsubtle dig

Speaking of digs, I once had occasion bring the Litespeed to En*gma HQ and still remember JW's sidelong glance at it, with a now unintentionally hilarious comment that they repair a lot of them.
[close]
and it has always pleased me that it granted a magic gear.

Member of the Vertical Dropout Anti-Defamation League

It also helps me keep my promise to spread the word, [mostLy] stealth ti being a conversation starter.

* It wasn't necessary. Within a few weeks we were feeling great together.