Poll

What are yours?

You may select up to 3 options.

Author Topic: Dealbreakers

sam

Dealbreakers
« on: December 08, 2021 »
If you have any for friendships, cohabitation, organ donation, sharing a lift, or other scenarios that come to mind, this is an opportunity to put them on the record.

on edit:
I considered adding a tickbox for the likes and laughs notoriously used by less classy establishments, but Other should cover that.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021 »
My litmus test is the closing scene of The Sopranos. Anyone who can't acknowledge the genius of it is not to be wholly trusted in matters of taste. Thus, recommendations they make about TV, films, books – really, any food for the soul – have no value to me; likewise, I can offer nothing of substance to them. It is as if a pane of glass forever separates us.

sam

Dealbreakers
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021 »
On a more serious note, this seems like a good place for a link to Helen Lewis's interview with Julia Galef on motivated cognition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001219p

Dealbreakers
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021 »
What I like about the early stages of a poll is the ability to totally determine the choices of the other contributor(s).

People who appear to hate me on sight, or whatever alternative process of cognition may apply, are the 'other', conveniently enough.

Religions and genderisms are rife, and while I find them generally out of order, I will always hope to reach some synthesis of communication and respect (ie win the argument) there.

Supporters of Glasgow Rangers or Real Madrid are beyond my reach.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021 »
Mine would have to be thickness.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021 »
Bump

XY

Dealbreakers
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022 »
Ah, the art of the bump.

I haven't voted in my own poll, but my posting history makes evident which box I'm hovering over. Take this performance,

my introduction to James Max. A single disastrous interview (never mind the self-destructing aftermath) was enough.

✓ Dealbreaker.

Anyone willing to ignore biological reality,

which has the effect of advancing what is essentially a men's rights movement under progressive cover, is someone I'm going to have a hard time taking seriously. About anything. Because this is fundamental. Oh dear, does that make me a fundamentalist? I am, after all, agreeing with Breitbart boy, earning me guilt-by-association-with-the-right points.

Something happens when you grow up: you stop caring what boxes people put you in.

Mr Biggus Dickus, does adding 'Ahab' help those who don't get the reference in the first place?

Begging the pardon of trans identified females, which descriptor alone will get me in hot water with some <waves to Gemma>. Though I won't go so far as to call hormones, breast binders or surgery mostly harmless, there's an obvious reason people tend to have less of a problem with you thinking you're a man.

I didn't want to turn this into another trans thread! Where's free willy when you need it.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022 »
Sense of humour.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022 »
Humour's cousin wit. Not so much a dealbreaker as an excuse to post a link to Sarah Ditum's review of Laurie Penny's

yes that Laurie Penny
https://twitter.com/pennyred/status/1409790944635883523 = witless
https://twitter.com/sexbasedrights/status/1487187905290416133 = priceless

Love & Hypocrisy in the Time of Covid is also well worth a read.

Quote from: goneharolding
I like thinking up mottos for the people I write about, and Laurie's could really be just, Not Like Other Girls. She's put a lot into becoming a near-perfect embodiment of that, and I like to give credit where it's due lol She's so misguided, but I really do feel for her in a lot of ways. There but for the Grace of Whatever go we all, you know?

[close]
new book.

Because whatever you’re doing, it’s important to remember that Penny is doing something much more exciting and avant-garde. Do you think that you, in your unenlightened state, have ever had good sex? Penny would like to inform you that it can hardly compare to “the thrill of the single weekend I spent in Berlin in 2018”, which I suppose could refer either to an expert fingerbanging from a stranger in a fetish club or an outstanding currywurst.

Quote from: NotBadConsidering
There must be a unique journalism award for Sarah for getting the word “fingerbanging” published in The Times for the first time in its 237 year history.

The biggest question left by this book, though, is: “Why?” Penny claims not to be a woman, and claims furthermore that women have no shared qualities as a group, so why identify with feminism at all? Why not leave the politics to the people who know what they’re talking about, and just spend more time doing whatever it is you get up to in Berlin?

PS. I don't use the names of people who are still alive. Happy birthday Germaine.

PPS. Laurie would go on to inspire this opening.

Dealbreakers
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022 »
Honesty.