Author Topic: Dear Diary

Dear Diary
« on: July 22, 2022 »
As you know, on the day mater and pater gave you to me I plucked a hair from my head. The next morning when I left you in the box under my bed where I keep my valuables, which include a first edition

and a Premium Bond from Nana that's meant to provide the deposit to get me on the property ladder, I very carefully set the hair atop your personalised cover.

EYES ONLY
[close]
That way if it went missing, I'd know you'd been violated. I've been using the same hair from the beginning.

Sure there's a lock, but locks can be picked. I keep the key on a piece of string around my neck anyway, as a reminder that you're always waiting to hear my secret thoughts.

A few days ago when I picked the hair off you I noticed it wasn't mine! It wasn't blue, for a start. I'm very good with details, pater always says. In fact it looked like one of his.

I gathered my wits and asked him if he'd been in my bedroom. He breezily replied that he'd "had a little clean", as if that was the end of it.

A new chapter begins, Diary.

Dear Diary
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022 »
After a night spent tossing and turning I confronted Pater this morning. He looked horrified and hurt that I thought he'd betray my trust by reading you.

What happened was he was indeed giving my room a going over with the feather duster, music on his earphones turned up as usual,

when in between songs he heard the sound of gnawing. This could only be one thing. Sure enough, when he peered under the bed he discovered a certain little furry rascal.

Chompsky had made his way into the box and was working on Adrian Mole, probably with you next on the agenda! I was so upset yesterday that I didn't notice the tooth marks, only the strand of hair, which on closer examination is indeed from a very naughty bunny.

Dear Diary
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022 »
That out of the way, I've got some fanfiction brewing. As always you'll be the first to know.

Dear Diary
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022 »
I'm so easily distracted...

For your eyes only
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022 »
The scene: a seemingly derelict warehouse on the edge of town where nothing good can happen.

A door screeches open and a man enters. He's surprised to find a receptionist, who pauses her Wordle long enough to ask "Name?"

"You can call me the man with no name."

Another door, less screechy this time, immediately opens behind the receptionist. Charon, an old "friend", enters. "I've been expecting you," he says. "But enough small talk." He gives the receptionist a nod, whereupon she presses a button underneath her desk.

Nothing happens.

"Press it harder, sometimes it sticks," Charon sighs.

She presses it again. A trap door suddenly opens between the man and Charon. Somewhat exasperated, he pulls a gun from his pocket.

"Happy to see me?" says the man dryly.

Charon motions to the trap door: "Watch the first step, it's a doozy."

Not giving the satisfaction of showing fear, the man steps into the void, dropping to waist level. "Looks like I'm not getting to the bottom of this," he says, his training for delivering punchlines automatically kicking in.

"I forgot to tell you the contractor can't make it till Wednesday," says the receptionist.

They take the stairs instead.

"You were foolish to come here," says Charon. "Now your fate is sealed. But which fate is it to be? I will give you a choice."

They enter a corridor with a series of rooms off either side.

The first room smells delicious, if you like duck. theclaud is sitting at a table contemplating the ravaged carcass of the finest yellow stickered quackers Marks & Sparks has to offer. She is not a happy bunny. Seated at the table with her are AuroraSaab and shep, whilst Unkraut is busy at a chalkboard to better make whatever point he was making.

Waste of a good bird, theclaud mouths when she sees them.

"The dinner party from hell," says Charon with a tight smile while motioning to an empty chair. "Would you like to join them? Forever?"

"If you don't mind I want to see the other rooms before I make a decision," says the man.

The next room smells much worse than the first. The scene before them isn't for the faint of heart. Hitchington, bare arse naked with a few paintbrushes lodged firmly the only place one can stick them, is bent over a large canvas hard at work on what may charitably be described as a study in earthiness. Intent on his palette knife, he doesn't look up.

"There's a vacancy for an apprentice," says Charon. "Interested?"

Not waiting for an answer, he prods the man to the next room, where jowwy is dealing cards to LCpl Boiled Egg, glasgowcyclist, Xipe Totec, and MrGrumpy. It's the way he's dealing that's the problem: he flings the cards inexpertly but with a maniacal strength. Between them the participants may not have a thousand papercuts, but they're getting there. There's blood everywhere. Even so they're all laughing at jowwy, which just makes him fling more wildly.

Moving right along, they come to a haunting portrait in the corridor. "That's winjim," says Charon. "See how his eyes follow you? That's because it really is him, trapped in the painting. It's like something out of Black Mirror. Honestly freaks even me out a little." They hear a very soft HELP ME as they go by.

AndyRM passes them in a gimp suit, nodding to Charon, and goes into The Writers' Room. It's cacophonous, filled with monkeys on typewriters hooting at their own jokes.

The man considers his options so far, wondering if the painting is as good as it's going to get.

"We're almost done, then you get to decide," chuckles Charon evilly though there's no actual malice, that's just his way.

The final room is perhaps the strangest of all, because nothing terrible is happening unless you count the gory film on TV that Poacher, Milkfloat, Mugshot, newfhouse and Ian H are watching as they lounge on the couch.

"Oh, I like this bit," says Charon.

It's then that the man spots his opportunity for escape. As everyone is busy keeping up with the subtitles, he makes his way to the coffee table and snatches the remote. When will people learn not to leave such plot devices lying around?

"No!" shouts Charon, but it's too late. The man rewinds the entire scene to before he decided to go into the warehouse, and finds a pub instead.

For your eyes only
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022 »

I'm honoured to be invited to FORUM.COM. I'm a little nervous though!

"You go girl!" shouts a fan from the audience in encouragement. There's a shocked silence, whether from the assumption of gender or the use of the diminutive is unclear.

"Don't worry, I paid him to say that," says Hilda to break the tension. They all laugh, then relax, though some continue to keep a wary eye on the man just in case.

Hilda clears her throat. "Benjamin Disraeli said: "Never complain and never explain."

There are nods. A few Google this, idly hoping to catch her in an error.

"That wouldn't make a very interesting session, would it. I'm now opening the floor to questions."

A woman who bought her ticket from a scalper raises her hand eagerly: "I'm interested in the creative process. What's the first bit you wrote?"

Hilda smiles and recites the opening lines from memory:

The scene: a seemingly derelict warehouse on the edge of town where nothing good can happen.

A door screeches open and a man enters. He's surprised to find a receptionist, who pauses her Wordle long enough to ask "Name?"

"jim. winjim.

There are gasps of of astonishment. One person faints. Hilda shrugs her shoulders.

"As history shows, the story took a different turn. It kind of had a life of its own."

Another hand shoots into the air at this admission. "You talk about the story like it's alive." The man belonging to the hand pauses. "Is it alive?"

Hilda mimes putting her hands on a steering wheel and stepping on the gas. "Sometimes I'm not sure who's behind the wheel," she says, swerving around on the stage. "Or even if we're going to get where I thought we were going. There are blind alleys, roundabouts, you name it."

This seems to satisfy the questioner even as Hilda realises she should've mimed a bucking bronco instead, and in any case she doesn't actually remember any roundabouts. Nobody notices. She continues, unprompted.

"One thing that people often forget about fanfiction is that it's fiction."

At this a few hardcore fanfiction aficionados stomp off in disgust. Hilda is undeterred.

"There may be symbolism, and certainly there's often truth in fiction, but it's also its own story. For example, that description of the warehouse as a place where nothing good can happen is, I'm sure you'll agree, a fair assessment of the opening of the clip which was my inspiration. Viewer discretion is advised:

(There's much squirming, some swooning.)

"However, that was in no way meant to imply that the real life forum on which the story is also based is a place where nothing good can happen."

A man wearing CycleChat jersey is caught rolling his eyes and immediately hustled off by security.

Hilda continues: "Yes, the state of NACA is distressing. But there's still hope. There's always hope." At this she pointedly drinks enough from her glass of water to bring it to the halfway mark.

A small child whom Hilda really did plant in the audience shouts: "It was too short!"

There's murmer of agreement with this. Hilda sighs wistfully.

"The original vision was much larger. Depending what else is going on in my life, sometimes I want to write a story quickly and be done with it (because it clearly must be done). Other times I enjoy it so much I stretch it out as long as possible. This, alas, fell into the first category. I was grateful that it found its natural ending so quickly.

"In fact if you don't mind my breaking the fourth wall, let's wrap this up. One last question."

The man in the CycleChat jersey, clearly chastened by his experience and allowed back in by security, raises his hand respectfully: "Where do you get most of your ideas?"

Already halfway out the door, Hilda says over her shoulder: "On my bike, of course!"

Today in history

winjim went and changed his avatar, which used to be Hilda (not so much Chompsky). Thanks a lot, wj.