Poll

Choose which boards appeal to you should any be added

You may select up to 6 options.

Author Topic: WTF is NACF

sam

WTF is NACF
« on: November 28, 2017 »
I’m so glad you asked, hypothetical visiting forum itinerant.

NACF is a blog in forum’s clothing, because I like the software. Thus it is entirely capable of puffing itself up to forum size, with more than one board and everything. I’m not saying that’s going to happen; experts generally agree that it takes more than one or two people to make a forum (“How many does it take then?” “More”), so I’m adopting a wait and see attitude. But if one board should go from being just the right size to too small, theoretically NACF could look something like ACF used to look. If you want to see what ACF used to look like, have a look at YACF, which is close but no cigar.

I moved here because I was having technical issues with the old place, but couldn't bear to let it simply disappear. When those got sorted I was left with two almost entirely useless forums. Well, not useless to me...

ACF lives on, if that’s the right word, in NACF’s URL.

There’s lots of stuff there, including archived Posts of the Day (we used to get up to 1000 of ‘em), which is my way of observing what was. I keep it around for old times’ sake.

Any other questions?

Re: WTF is NACF
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017 »
it takes more than one or two people to make a forum (“How many does it take then?” “More”)

Recent observations would indicate that it takes more than 53.

sam

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017 »
Am trying the squiggle over here, and have added a poll.

“No need for ad-blocker” currently appearing on the fourth plinth was inspired by all those sites that plead with you to turn it off already, they need the income! I’m not entirely without sympathy; newspapers in particular. Anybody who creates content for a living has to find a way to pay for it, and everybody hates a paywall…

This software invites input of a ‘site slogan’ to replace the default Simple Machines logo. Until now my slogan has been  , which translates into a blank space. Others I considered:

Register and win a free page refresh
Forums are the new vinyl
For people who are sick of cycling forums but not quite
Not Another Lifeboat

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017 »
I think a "General Chat" section would be good, all encompassing maybe Pub themed name where all non cycling conversations can take place?  If the goal is a forum of course.

I am a CC'er if there is such a thing with no history of "previous" incarnations!

I have read a lot of your posts Sam. I have enjoyed them it has the feel of a blog though which is fine but its made it feel a bit awkward to post though :-)

So here tentatively for posterity is my first post..

4 Votes is a start!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017 »
I’m not saying that’s going to happen

Bicycle wheels go round and round, but nine years and more for a rotation and things might need quite a lot of lubrication and maintenance. As indeed they do in another hypothetical place.

If I've learned one thing in my life, it's that workloads shared, responsibilities delegated, alternative points of view tolerated and encouraged and decisions challenged before they're made are more productive and make for more trust in the long run.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017 »
all encompassing maybe Pub themed name where all non cycling conversations can take place?
I'm keener on real pubs than I am on virtual ones. Are you thinking craft keg beer and scaffolding, best bitter and comfy chairs, or flat roof and Worthington's Creamflow?

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017 »
Just a general old style Pub, independent freehouse I think.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017 »
Just a general old style Pub, independent freehouse I think.
I'm just gonna nip out to one of those, after which I ought to blurt something out in Drunken Posts Only. Having spent years cultivating an online appearance of relative sobriety when langered, I wouldn't know what to say there, even if it actually existed.

sam

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017 »
I think a "General Chat" section would be good, all encompassing maybe Pub themed name where all non cycling conversations can take place?  If the goal is a forum of course.

Hi Andrew, I replied then edited it out of existance and neglected to get back to you, so here goes:

The goal is to be a forum (though I’m already starting to think in past tense). However, I’m not going to try to replicate the boards you’d find at CC.

The idea behind the current setup is that Freewheeling is the great melting pot, generally cycling themed because we're cyclists, but anything goes. AIBU can easily handle the topical or nontopical. Gear3 & Ride are perhaps reassuringly explicit in intent. High & Low Culture probably more off-topic than on. Don’t Panic is mostly a joke, and Drunken Posts Only continues in that vein. Those last two might seem to be wasted real estate when there are so many other worthy cycling forum-type boards one could choose from, but they hammer home that this is not meant to be a typical cycling forum. Also, I don't see much point building a grand complicated structure when popular ones already exist elsewhere. Make sense?

Bicycle wheels go round and round

essaredoubleyou, if you come 'round again and want to chat about forums, I’d be happy to.

I’m adopting a wait and see attitude.

It didn't take long to go to a "Let's do it!" attitude, did it.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017 »
Don’t Panic is mostly a joke
That's a relief. I thought I should post in Don't Panic in case anyone was panicking about it being empty. Then I had no idea what to write and so I panicked and didn't write anything. I'd say that the section was working out well, on balance...